Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Eve

On Christmas Eve day, Mason and Connor took to the slopes. Mason enjoys cooking. He likes to be the one to make the Christmas prime rib. So as soon as he walked through the door from skiing he went straight to work on preparing the meat. He didn't even take off his ski pants and boots (as shown above).
That evening we had a family home evening Christmas lesson. I wrap the nativity set and # each piece. The kids read the Christmas story from the bible and unwrap each piece.

The last thing to do on Christmas Eve is make the Christmas traditional sticky buns, for breakfast the next morning. This is a Lutz family tradition. These are made the night before. Here is Shelby learning to make them.


Also on Christmas Eve, the table MUST be set for Christmas morning breakfast. (another Lutz tradition). I believe that on a holiday like Christmas, this is a time to be formal. I believe that there is a place and a time to be formal, and Christmas is certainly the time. Being formal makes it feel special. And it is special.




I have beautiful Christmas plates (a set of 12), that I just love! I made these felt silverware stocking holders, that are so cute. I hand embroidery stitched 12 of them. I always use cloth napkins, these are some I got from Mason many years ago as a gift. Stemware is something I really feel make a nice table.
I remember as a child this was my favorite thing to do. I assigned MYSELF to be in charge of the table every Christmas. I felt it was important then, and I still do.
So we had a nice Christmas Eve dinner, with prime rib, mashed potatos, gravy, bread, steamed broccolini, steamed califlower with homemade cheese sauce. Apple pie and ice cream


No comments: